The Archeological Museum
The entire ancient finds of the island, mostly of the archaic period, are kept
The most impressive exhibit is the west pediment of the
of Artemis dating from 590-580 B.C.; it is one of the largest surviving
sculptural groups of its kind in Greece and dominates the main hall. Other
interesting exhibits include the sixth century funerary capital of Xemvares,
in the anteroom, which bears an Archaic Corinthian inscription. Also worthy of
note in the anteroom is the ‘boustrophedon’ inscription, forming an
epigram in Homeric hexameters and dating from the early sixth century B.C., on
a vertical stele. In the North room are also exhibited two small archaic
masterpieces. One of these is the head of a Kouros by a Corinthian
sculptor; it dates from about 535-530 B.C. The other exhibit, a sixth century
bronze statuette. In the courtyard behind the Museum stands gigantic
Doric capital resting on a column drum, from the
temple of Artemis.
The Museum of Asian Art
A rich and highly
interesting collection of objects d’art, mostly Chinese and Japanese,
is on display on the first floor of the Palace of
St. Michael and St. George.
This collection was presented to the Greek Government in 1928
and consists of 10.000 items. The collection includes some beautiful bronze
wares of the Chou (1027-256 B.C.) and Han (206 B.C.- 220 A.D.) dynasties.
The classical period of Chinese art is represented by a great variety of
porcelain of Sung (960-1276), Ming (1368-1644) and Ch’ing (1644-1912)
dynasties. The Japanese collection contains much more porcelain ware, wooden
masks of the “No” theatre, suits of Samurai armor, Utamaro wood-cuts,
beautiful eighteenth century silk and rice paper Kakemonos, and books
illustrated with prints. The collection has been recently enriched by a
donation, comprising four hundred and fifty interesting items from Japan,
India, Nepal, Tibet, Thailand and Korea.
The Byzantine Museum of Corfu
This museum is
one of the most significant in Greece. It is housed in the Church of the
Blessed Virgin Antivouniotissa where a wide flight of steps leads up from
The church has been entrusted to the Greek state by the owners, along with its
numerous icons, frescoes and paintings (whose authors and titles we mention in
the part Fine Arts of this web site) and rich collection of silver,
which carried out extensive restoration and redecoration in preparation for
the New Museum. The church is a single-nave basilica surrounded by a narthex
on three sides, which constitutes a unique feature of Church architecture in
Corfu. Several silver lamps hang from the ceiling, which is divided into
richly decorated caissons.
ANCIENT AND MEDIEVAL BUILDINGS
of a District of the Ancient City of Corcyra
Vestiges of houses and parts of two streets,
belonging to several periods between the fourth and the first century B.C.,
were recently excavated between Mon Repos and Kanoni. This area
is believed to have been a residential district near the Hyllaic harbor.
Potsherds, household and other implements, terracotta statuettes, bone
fragments etc. were also found.
of the City Walls
To the west of the Greek Orthodox cemetery
at Garitsa stands the only remaining part of the ancient wall of
Corcyra, dating from the fifth century B.C. and consisting of a tower and the
The Roman Thermal Baths at Palaeopolis
A few yards from Basilica of Palaeopolis,
in the grounds of the nearby Olive-Growing Institute were found
extensive ruins of Roman baths. These were built around 200 A.D., during the
reign of Emperor Septimus Severus, and were destroyed in the sixth century.
The remains of the hypocaust and heating chamber can be clearly seen.
The Temple of Artemis
A Doric temple dedicated to Artemis stood near
the remains of the ancient walls, on low-lying ground, near the present
shores of the lagoon of Chalikiopoulos, on the northern edge of
the ancient city. It was a huge pseudodipteral temple with seventeen columns
and it was built between the years 590 and 580 B.C. by Corinthian masons. The
only contemporary relic on the site is rectangular altar decorated with
archaic triglyphs, fairly well preserved.
Temple of Hera Akraia
It is to be
found on a height in the
park of Mon Repos.
It was built on sloping ground, on the hill, and was the largest and most
important temple of the ancient city, having been built in the late seventh
century. The architectural and sculptural remains of this temple, especially
terracotta decorative elements of the roof, are now exhibited in the
Archeological Museum of Corfu.
The Temple of Apollo the Corcyraean
On the same height at Mon Repos, close
to the above mentioned sanctuary of Hera Akraia, lay a small open-air
shrine dedicated to Apollo the Corcyraean, the founder of god of Corcyra. It
was built about the end of the sixth century B.C. It has been identified by a
number of inscriptions and one engraved on a votive offering in the shape of a
The Temple of Kardaki
probably dedicated to Poseidon, was built around 500 B.C. and it is to be
found in the
park of Mon Repos.
The remains include a few monolithic Doric columns and part of stylobate and
entablature. The most noteworthy find is a small statue of the Goddess Kyveli
as well as a quantity of pottery.
Site of a Small Shrine of Artemis
It is on the
southern tip of the Kanoni peninsula, opposite the lagoon of
Chalikiopoulo. Excavations carried out in 1889 brought to light a deposit
which contained a large number of clay figurines, many of which represent
Artemis and are believed to be offerings to the goddess. Some of them are
The Monument to Menekrates
circular cenotaph was discovered in 1843 and it stands in the garden of the
former Police Station in
at Garitsa. It was built of beautifully worked hard limestone and
consists of five rows of blocks; the upper part ends in kind of flattened
dome, which belong to a later period. It is believed that this monument was
built around 600 B.C. A number of clay and bronze vessels were found. A few of
the numerous ancient vessels are now in the
The Ancient City of Cassiope
It is a few
yards south of the Church of the Virgin Kassopitra in the village of
These are believed to be the remains of public buildings in the center of the
ancient city. Potsherds found shows that the remains probably date from the
first century B.C. to the fifth century A.D.
The Doric Temple
In the extreme
north of the island, near the small village of
the ruins of a Doric temple, perhaps dedicated to Apollo, of which only few
remains of the foundations and the altar may still be seen. The temple dates
from the fifth century B.C.
The Roman Baths at Benitses
In the village
on the east coast of the island are the ruins of baths belonging to a Roman
villa dating back to the late second century A.D. The baths conform to the
usual Roman plan, with tepidarium, a caldarium and a frigidarium.
STAMATOPOULOS, N.: Old
K. Mihalas s.a., Athens, 1993
Back to "All About